Saturday, October 6, 2012

Extraordinary Outdoors!

My dream of forming an outdoor group for extraordinary children is becoming a reality! I have planned a first outing, inviting all families of extraordinary kids (Autism, down syndrome, etc.), to join Mia and I in an initial meet and greet walk at Mount Apatite in Auburn Maine, on October 20, 2012. This will be an easy walk, and will provide an opportunity for us as families to meet each other, and to get our kids outdoors together, in an accepting and understanding environment!

I will share some of my thoughts and ideas on how to get kids excited and interested in being outdoors, and some stories of what I have experienced with Mia out on the trails that have helped her gain a sense of awareness, confidence, and more!

Please share this event with anyone in the Maine area! We would enjoy meeting anyone who is able to join us for this event!! A rain date will be posted in case of inclement weather, and future events in other areas of Maine are in the works!
outing

6 comments:

  1. OH Ashley! What a great way to use your talents! You are a very talented teacher! Awesome!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awe, thank you so much Brownie!! :) I'm really excited for this venture, and can't wait to see how it goes! :)

      Delete
  2. Ashley, Your idea and story is wonderful! Best of luck to you, how I wish I was part of your group when my daughter was young. You are exactly right, the outdoors is perfect for all kids and always has been -- it is the Chuck E Cheese stuff they don't need (and overstimulates all kids, especially our kids with autism).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I completely agree! Some lessons just can't be taught in the hustle and bustle of day to day living, especially with the sensory issues that come along with Autism. So many benefits to sharing time outdoors! :)

      Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  3. This is great Ashley! Good luck, hope you have a huge turnout!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Aquafire! A local paper was kind enough to do an article about Mia and I, and shared our event info. I've gotten some great feedback, and I am so excited to meet these great families! Updates to come! :)

      Delete