Saturday, March 10, 2012

Learning Safe Distances On The Trail

Mia exploring the texture of a pine needle on the Cornwall
 Nature Preserve Trail, 2011
Photo by Ashley Berard

When Mia was born in the summer of 2006, I started sharing with her my love of the outdoors. I have been an avid hiker, hunter, and fisher woman for years. These are loves that I was happy to be able to share with my little love. We shared our first hike together when she was just a few weeks old, and we haven't looked back since. I knew that hiking was going to show her a new world outside of the normal routine, but I didn't realize just how important it would become in our lives.

Mia struggles with Autism. A disorder that varies in degree, Autism is described as a Spectrum Disorder, and typically causes difficulties in communication, social interaction, motor coordination, and basic comprehension. Because I was on the look out for this when she was diagnosed with Tuberous Sclerosis, I saw it early and was able to get her the help that she needed.

Though many things changed after the signs became apparent, my determination to share the outdoors with her, and my expectations for her to live a solid and fulfilling life, did not. Autism or not, she could still be an outdoor kid and experience things that any kid should be able to. And over the past five years, I've come to realize that Mia has pulled more out of our outdoor explorations than I previously thought.

Because Mia has had issues interpreting some of her surroundings, she has seemed to be fearless to many around her. To the point that at any given point without warning, she would run away. This is a problem for many kids on the spectrum. Cars on a busy road aren't a danger to these kids, they're just fast moving shiny objects. Walking away from the safety of a parent is not being defiant or testing mom or dad's boundaries, it's a way to get away from a sensory overloading surrounding. For some kids with Autism, walking/running away could be caused by their desire to get to an object or place of familiarity or interest.

Mia looking for new treasures on the Cornwall Nature Preserve Trail ~2011~
Photo by Ashley Berard

Though the reasons behind why kids with Autism wander aren't fully understood, it is a serious and sometimes fatal issue, and can last a lifetime as these kids grow into adults, still unaware of the dangers of their surroundings.

This is one big area where I feel Mia has benefited greatly from our hiking lifestyle. Because there are virtually no immediate threats in the woods, I don't have to hover over her at all times. She gets a window of time to be a kid and explore her surroundings safely. Though I never let her get very far away from me still, she gets more of a free reign here than anywhere else.

When Mia was about three years old she started walking down the trails completely on her own without wanting to be carried. At this time, her 'bolting' and wandering tendencies were very apparent. This was when I started using our hikes to teach her the distance between us that is allowable. I let her run up the trail a bit, and even off of it at times so she could explore, and when she would get just beyond the distance of my comfort, I would call to her to get her attention so she could see the distance between us two, using phrases such as "stop please, you've gone too far", or "come back please". I would then catch up to her and asked for her hand and walk with her for a bit longer. And then I would let this cycle happen over and over again. Repetition is key when teaching anything to a kid with Autism (or any kid for that matter).

I was in hopes that this would help her learn her boundaries when it came to walking and playing on her own. Though I can't be 100% sure that this is the sole reason for her change in this area, I am happy to say that the after all of my constant sprinting up and down trails after her, her progress has been amazing! Now Mia takes pride in being able to adventure in the woods mostly on her own, and looking back to make sure that I'm not too far away!

Mia knows her distance limit from me on the trail! ~New Balance trail system
at Lake Pennesseewassee, 2011~
Photo by Ashley Berard

This has lead to her using this behavior in other situations. In stores she very rarely wanders more than a couple of feet from my side now. When visiting with friends, she often goes off to play on her own but comes back to "check in" with mom. When heading back to the Jeep from anywhere, she stands and waits patiently for me to get the doors open and no longer wanders away during the process.

Slowly but surely, she is becoming more aware of her distance from a figure of protection. Though I don't think she is still fully aware that some situations are dangerous, her habit of staying by my side is a great leap towards keeping her safe. My hope is that as she exits her young years and grows into a young lady, her tendency to wander will be completely diminished. I feel safe in saying that this will be an accomplished feat for us both.

Hiking has been a wonderful way to bond with Mia over the years, and a way to see her wonder loving personality grow, but it has also been more of a learning tool than I could have ever imagined, and I am very glad that we can share this love of nature and learning together.


** Eloping/wandering behaviors in kids with Autism is a very serious issue and should be addressed by all families on the Spectrum. If your loved one is affected by Autism, make sure that local law enforcement knows of your loved one and their situation. Make sure you have a kit ready with updated photos and important information about your loved one and their personality (i.e. Do sirens scare them away, are they afraid of bright lights or loud voices, what would make them feel safe or scare them away, what name or nickname do they best respond to?). Visit this link to view the National Autism Society's brochure on wandering and use the check list to make sure you and your family are prepared. 


Talk to your doctor/pediatrician about the new diagnosis code for wandering,  V40.31 – Wandering in Diseases Classified Elsewhere, and what this diagnosis could mean for your child/loved one. 



10 comments:

  1. Simply outstanding! Thank you so much for sharing. I see myself and my Grandson through a lot of your words and details. So happy that the outdoors is so therapeutic for Mia and You. Take Care!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. (Mia hit the enter key before I was finished!) I am glad to know that we can share some similarities with our special kiddos!

      Delete
  2. Wonderful post. As someone who works with people with disabilities, I'd rather hang with special kids than most adults of any type. Nice job and thanks Mel for leading me here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! You and I have that in common! It seems that no matter what she goes through on a day to day basis, she has a smile on her face anyways and she always picks up and tries again! I've learned a lot from her over the years. :) Thanks again!

      Delete
  3. What great information. How lucky Mia is to have a mom that researches ways to make it a great situation for everyone instead of just dealing with it. I bet that Mia enjoys that freedom without being unsafe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Brownie! I always strive to make her feel like a kid, not a different kid! She does enjoy this freedom on the trail and I enjoy seeing her explore and learn all at the same time. I decided very early on that I wouldn't just deal with her situation, I would make sure she had the best opportunities and experiences available to her. I don't see her as any different than any other kid, she's just Mia! Perfect just the way she is! :)

      Delete
  4. Ashley, what a wonderful post. The trails are inspiring and healing. I'm glad they are that way for Mia, too, and that she can learn and grow with them as tools. Touching read. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Ashley. I found your blog through Mel's Rainbow Chaser blog, and I was touched by your story of connecting with your daughter by hiking and exploring the woods. What a beautiful post. I would like to follow along if that's ok.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would be delighted if you follow along! This has been a great way to see Mia's personality and abilities grow, and to bond with her as well. Thank you so much for reading!

      Delete