Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Mommy, Can You Buy Me These?

Mia surprised me. We went into a gas station to pay for fuel, and we waited in line behind a mother and her three children. Mia was excited to see these other kids, even though she didn’t go up to them to try to play. She kept looking and smiling at them.

When they were done at the counter, they walked for the door, and I thought Mia was headed after them. I grabbed her hand and asked her to come over here with me. She started to pull away, and then started scooching towards the floor. I assumed that she was going to have a little bit of a tantrum, so I let her hand go but kept close watch of her out of the corner of my eye.

The next thing I knew, she was handing me a plastic bag of something that she had grabbed off of the shelf below me. I turned it over to find that she had handed me a package of Swedish Fish, one of only two candies that she actually eats.

She looked up at me with the biggest smile on her face, and her big blue eyes were full of excitement! She had found, and ASKED for something that she really likes, and who was I to say no? The child with no words, has more words with actions than anyone with vocabulary will ever have. The kid who never asks for anything in the store, was actually asking me for one, simple thing.

“Of course I will get these for you Mia, but only because you asked so nicely!” Her smile got even bigger as she realized that she had effectively gotten her point across. She jumped up and down in anticipation, carried her prize in hand, and waited patiently until we got back to the Jeep before we opened her treasured treat.

She handed me the package again, “open it mom!”, I imagined her sweet little voice saying. I opened it and gave her one of the fish, and she giggled with delight. After I filled the Jeep with fuel, we headed for home, and I heard a “HEY!” from the back seat. I looked in the rearview mirror and saw Mia’s hand waving in my direction. Yet again, I imagined her little voice “Mom, I want another one! Please!”

I know that most people don’t like that their kids ask for anything in the store, but for Mia to be that observant in this situation in which she has always had a hard time, is amazing to say the least. I’ve seen this little girl grow in development over the years, and no matter how slow or fast the growth may be, I am always astonished with each new thing that pops up!

All the little things make life sweeter! And yes, Swedish Fish do too!

No comments:

Post a Comment