Friday, August 10, 2012

Wishing Away Summer...

This has been one of those summer…….okay, the only summer……..that I have actually wished away. Not because of the heat or humidity. No, I love these parts of summer. Not because I desire fall colors, crisp fall air, or fair food. (Um, actually yes to the fair food!) But because it’s the start of a new school year!

Now, don’t get me wrong, I’m not complaining about a summer with my child. In fact, I cherish all of our warm weather moments together. Hiking, fishing, outdoor events, and experiencing many opportunities that we can’t during the winter months here in Maine.

The only reason that I have wished this summer away, is because this year, Mia starts at her new school, the Margaret Murphy Center (MMC). And let me tell you, this momma can not wait! This is what I fought for, what I moved for, what I’ve dreamed for for well over a year now.

278650_310138382415083_32820931_o

This is Mia’s best opportunity in her battle against Autism, and her struggle with communication. MMC is renowned for their efforts in providing the best services to children with Autism and other developmental disorders. Their ability to see a particular child’s strengths, and their knowledge to use these strengths as a catapult in the child’s learning program increases a child’s success exponentially.

Their parent surveys are phenomenal. Their parent to school communication is exceptional, expanding further on a child’s progress. I know of a couple other families with little ones that have attended MMC, and I have heard nothing but gratitude and amazement in the progress of their child’s development.

All said, it’s the best school for Mia right now, and I was more than ecstatic when I was told there was a spot available for her in the fall. Actually, I cried when I found out. Because MMC offers such a structured and individualized program on a child by child case, and utilizes a one on one teacher to child basis, spots in this school are very few. So, even though I had made this move to benefit Mia’s schooling situation, I knew that there was a chance that there might not be room for her in the program. Still, I made the move anyways and prayed for the best. And here we are, awaiting the first day of her new school year!

So, on August 29th, Mia will officially be a kindergartener, and on her way to one of the best learning experiences available to her! I know that here, Mia will flourish in her development, and I can’t wait to see her put more of her hurdles behind her. I am so glad that I made this move, and I can’t wait to share with you our experiences, and her further growth!

Now, if you’ll excuse me, I’ve got to go find a box of Kleenex as I reminisce about our last six years together, and rejoice in the opportunities and successes of years to come!

20120709_571
Too big, too fast. Where has the time gone?! <3

8 comments:

  1. Thats FANTASTIC! Congrats to you and Mia!

    ReplyDelete
  2. SO happy for you both! I will be thinkin of ya on your first day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations, Ashley and Mia, for beginning this new school year! I'm happy for you both, and I know it will lead to great things. You deserve it, and it'll all be worth it :) HUGS!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Abby! This move has been well worth it already, and I can't say enough how glad I am that I made it! Mia deserves all of this and MORE! :)

      Delete
  4. Wow this is Awesome! Congratulations and I look forward to hearing how it goes.

    ReplyDelete