Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Mia Goes Lucky Catch Lobstering !

20120811_2
Commercial Street, Portland Maine
Today, I wanted to do something different with Mia. I wanted to get closer to the shores of our wonderful state, but I wanted her to experience a fun new way to see the waters, and what they hold. So, I got on the computer and started researching boats for charter.

I thought about a whale watch, but the trips are nearly four hours long. Without knowing if Mia would even tolerate standing on a boat, I didn’t want to subject her to four hours of something she might not like. So, I looked at scenic tours, bird watches, island visits, and then I came across, lobster boats!

How fun would this be? To go out on a boat and learn about a piece of Maine history, and to share in this new experience with Mia all at the same time. Plus, the ride was only an hour and a half, so it would be short enough to be a maiden voyage for Mia. Yep, I started making phone calls and decided that we were going to go out on the quaint little vessel named, The Lucky Catch.

20120811_1
The lady in waiting, the Lucky Catch
The lady I had spoken with on the phone was very nice and understanding when I told her about our situation. Mia has Autism, yes. But she’s just like every kid, looking for adventure and opportunity. She was more than happy to accommodate us, and seemed to understand my desire to involve Mia in as many new things as I possibly could.

I played my fifty questions game, (can she walk around on the boat if she chooses, will the boat be overly crowded, will there be other children present?) and decided that this little adventure was a go! I made a reservation for the two of us, and anxiously awaited the coming weekend!

20120811_4
And we're headed out of the harbor!
When Saturday finally arrived, Mia was up bright and early. Four O’clock in the morning, bright and early. I had mentioned to her the night before what we were going to be doing, and I think the excitement in my voice got her excited about starting the day! No worries though. We got up, had breakfast, and got ready to head out on our adventure.

20120811_7
All hands on deck! Time to fill the bait nets!
When we got to the Commercial Street area in Portland, we found a place to park and headed for the booth for the Lucky Catch. The captain of the boat this morning was there helping to check people in. He knew who Mia and I were instantly, and I reiterated our situation to him. He too seemed more than pleased to accommodate us.

Mia and I walked around on the pier while we waited for our time to board the boat. Mia wanted to walk down the ramp towards the boat that we were going to be on, but I told her that she had to wait. She was happy at that point to walk up and down the pier, looking out over the edge at all of the boats.

20120811_8
Ready to pull in a trap or two?!
When it was time to start boarding, Mia was more than happy to walk down the ramp towards the boat. She watched as the other kids climbed aboard, and then I helped her climb into the boat as I followed her in. She walked around for a minute, and then started to get upset. She was simply unsure of this situation, and what it meant for her.

Captain Dave was more than willing to go along with the trip, even though Mia was having a bit of a hard time adjusting. He had also offered to refund our money if I thought that she wouldn’t like it at all. Either way, the choice was mine. I couldn't believe the amount of acceptance both Captain Dave and Elaina gave Mia and I. I decided we would stick it out. I told her that she had to give it a chance, and we sat down and waited for the boat to move. I knew once we were moving and the wind was in her hair, her worries would be behind her.

20120811_9
Mia getting in the middle of the action!
And, as it would turn out, I was right. We started moving out of the harbor, and Mia's cries of unease started to diminish. Once we got out into open water, turned around, and headed 'out to sea', her sense of calm became greater. As the boat swayed with more rhythm as we picked up more speed, Mia's happy sounds started up again.

20120811_11
Looking on as the other kids helped bring in a trap. 

By the time we made our first stop to pull in traps, Mia was completely calm and collected. And when Captain Dave and Elaina asked the kids to help fill the bait nets, Mia picked up on their lifted spirits and enthusiasm, and walked onto the deck with them.


20120811_12
Elaina teaching the kids a thing or two about lobsters.


The transition to this new experience was made, and wonderfully with the kindness of everyone aboard the boat. This was one experience where I had prepared myself for stares of irritation from other parents, and looks of judgement from other kids. But I was pleasantly surprised at how well everyone understood what Mia was dealing with. Everyone was excited to see her happy and enthusiastic smile, and many of them told her what a good job she had done!


20120811_16
Look, SEALS!!!


Mia watched and wandered around as the trip continued. She was very interested in the five gallon pails of fish that were used for bait, peering into their silvery centers each time they were brought out. She stood among the other children while they pulled traps over the edge of the boat, looked at the lobsters that were brought in, and watched as the traps were pushed back out.


20120811_17
There are lobsters in the trap!
The educational pieces about lobsters, how to tell males from females, how big they have to be to keep, and more, were great for all of the children! Even though Mia didn't participate in a 'hands on' way like the other children, I know that she took some of her own pieces from this experience away with her. 

20120811_21
Mia standing at the front of the boat....This is MY ship! :)
We had a great time out on the Lucky Catch, and I felt extremely lucky that everyone aboard was so understanding and accepting. When we got back to the pier, I graciously thanked Captain Dave and Elaina for the experience and their understanding. They seemed very pleased with how well the experience turned out for Mia.

Mia and I climbed off of the boat and headed up the ramp to explore some more of the working waterfront. Mia skipped by my side, looking up at me with her big smile and her loud happy noises, telling me that she too had a wonderful time!

20120811_22
Mia and Momma on the 'high seas'! PERFECT day!

10 comments:

  1. What a great Maine adventure! I've never been to Maine, but from my out west perspective, what better way to experience the history and culture of the state than by LOBSTERING?! Lucky girls!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow Amazing job Mia!!!! That was a great job momma too for finding a new experience and making it comfortable for her! So very proud of her!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She did such a wonderful job! Just one of many memories I hope she looks fondly back on! :)

      Delete
  3. This is so cool that you two had this opportunity. It looks like it was a lot of fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a TON of fun!! So much fun that we will be doing it again! Lol

      Delete
  4. I had no idea you could go out on a lobster boat!!! If I ever make it back to Maine I want to do that!!! :o)

    What a great day you guys had! So wonderful she had such a good time and everybody was so helpful!

    Did you get to take any lobster home with you? ;o)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I knew you could do whale watches and such, but I just happened on the lobster boat! It was such a great time!

      We didn't take any lobsters with us. Mia ended up being so excited about the whole ride that we walked around Commercial street for a while after. She just couldn't sit still! Lol

      Delete
  5. This looks like so much fun! What a wonderful experience for Mia--time in nature, interaction with other kids--and it shows what an interested, dedicated mother you are, Ashley. Together you will see the world!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a blast Abby! I've got travel plans for us when she gets a bit older! :)

      Delete