Sunday, September 9, 2012

What A Difference A Year Makes: Step Up! For Autism Walk

20120909_2
Setting up for the walk!
Today, Mia and I attended the Step Up! For Autism Walk presented by the Maine Autism Alliance, a non-profit that is commited to “support, empower and celebrate the uniqueness of individuals on the Autism Spectrum and their families.” Please visit the Alliance’s website at www.maineautism.org to read more about their mission, and to keep up with all of their upcoming events!

The walk was held at Back Bay Cove in Portland. We got there around 10:00, and Mia was fast asleep in the car when we arrived. I let her finish her nap since she seemed to really need it, and when she woke up, we mingled with all of the great people around us.

20120909_12
Miss Mia having fun while waiting for the walk to start!
There was quite a decent turn out of people today! As people came in for registration, Mia walked around and took in the sights. She never went too far from me, but far enough for her to feel a sense of independence. She played in some bubbles at one of the kids tables. Yes, played IN the bubbles! You didn’t know that they’re much more fun this way?!

20120909_19
Suddsy bubble pie!
Mia had a few moments where she got a bit overwhelmed, and needed a moment to harness her chi. For these moments, she sat in the quiet of the car as I stood outside of it, and played with a few of her favorite toys. It never took too long for her to calm down and join the crowd again though.

20120909_20
And they're off!!
Soon, it was time to start walking. Mia was more than ready to explore outside of the area we had been in for the last couple of hours. Everyone headed out on the Back Bay Trail, which makes a three mile loop around Back Cove. Mia and I followed the bulk of the group and walked at our own pace. We stopped from time to time to look at different things and so mom could take some pictures. (No surprise there!)

20120909_29
Mia is much like her mother, and loves to look out over the water!
Along the way, Mia also noticed the difference of walking this trail, as opposed to being on a hiking trail in the middle of the woods. Parts of the Back Bay Trail run beside the highway, and I watched her as she glanced towards the bay, and then towards the road that was on the other side of a tall chain link fence. She looked at me with interest, but continued on with her exploration.

20120909_43
It's time to head back mom!
We reached the mile mark on the trail, and Mia started showing me signs that she’d had enough exploring for the moment. We turned and headed back to the meeting area. Today, the only pack of sorts I was carrying was my camera case, so this allowed me the ability to give Mia a piggy back ride, which she loved!
When we got back to the meeting area, Mia meandered around and mingled with people a bit more. We ended up staying until 3:00 or so, and it was a great fun filled day!

You’re probably wondering what the “Difference a year makes” means in the title of this post. One year ago, Mia and I attended the Step Up! For Autism Walk at this same location, but our visit only lasted a half an hour. Mia had a hard time staying within a safe range of me last year, and because I tried to keep her within a certain distance it made for a hard time for her. She had no idea that I was simply trying to keep her from harm, because she had no concept of danger.

In addition to this, Mia also had a habit of seeing something that sparked a “movie” in her mind, and she couldn’t let it go until it was played out. The particular movie that day, happened to be sparked by the site of our Jeep. Once it was in her view, she could not stop the thoughts of getting into it, and riding down the road. When we didn’t actually do that, it also caused her to have a hard time.

But today was a different day. Today was a day where I felt like I was standing outside of our situation, looking in. I never take any amount of Mia’s progress for granted, and I always celebrate every piece. But to be able to look back on the events of one year ago, in comparison to the events of today, and clearly see the leap of growth in Mia’s development, was simply amazing. And others saw it as well. She stayed within a safe distance, and listened when I asked her to follow me. She giggled, and skipped, and was happy to be here amongst everyone. She enjoyed the entire day at this great event, and we can’t wait for the next one! 

2012-09-09_14-14-56_283
Mia has grown so much, and in so many ways!! 

4 comments:

  1. It's just proof that you are doing a great job with her!!!! By the way I love your changes on your blog!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Brownie! I do everything I can for her, and I know it's helped her greatly!! And thanks for the comment on the site setup, I'm glad you like it! :)

      Delete
  2. Sounds like a big change! Good day for you both!

    PS: I too like the changes here! Looking good! :o)

    ReplyDelete