Monday, February 4, 2013

First Words Are Great, But First FUNCTIONAL Words Are Even Better!

Over the years, I've heard numerous noises form in Mia's beautiful little voice. Within the last six to eight months, these noises have become more used, elaborated, and she has increased the type of noises she makes ten fold. 

Though I posted Mia's first real word a while ago, this is Mia's first FUNCTIONAL word!

Why do I say functional? Because her first word, "action", though reciprocated, was only used at random times with no apparent meaning behind it. 

Here, Mia is imitating the elaborated "HI!" Greeting I have given to her at the end of every work/school day for the last six years! 

This word is functional not only because she says it back, but because she is using it to initiate a greeting and socialization with others around her! 

This moment marks a turning point in Mia's communication skills! Now that she knows that she can uses her voice to gain attention of others, I have a strong feeling that more functional words are coming in the very near future!!! 


7 comments:

  1. That's so great, Ashley! =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kim! Soon she'll be talking all the time. I can't wait!!!!

      Delete
  2. Terrific, Mia! You are a beautiful young lady and I can see nothing but the best for you in the future.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bravo Mia!

    Funny coincidence, that was my first word as well! ;o)

    ReplyDelete