Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Beauty in the Burghal: The River Walk



It's been about a month since Mia and I made our big move. I am happy about it and excited for her enrollment into the new school, and to see her further betterment and growth! However, I know that we both miss a few things about our old area.

Namely, the availability of trails and fishing spots, the ability to reach them in less than hour, and the beauty that comes with living so close to natural settings. Before, with our pack ready and waiting for use at a moments notice, we could just add our food and water and go. We knew all of the trails in the surrounding areas and had a few favorites that we visited frequently.

Here though, it would take (in most instances) nearly two hours to get to one of our furthest favorite spots. So I've been researching the area finding new places for us to go, and how to get there! (Here comes a summer of trail head searching again!) Gone are our days of walking out the door and and walking to the river or trail.

Though we miss being in a rural setting, being here does push us. To adventure more. And I've used this spur of events to create a couple of goals. 1) To find beauty in the the city, and 2) To find different outdoor recreational areas that can become our new favorites.


Having found and fully walked the Riverwalk walking path that connects the cities of Auburn and Lewiston together, I can say that I have found some beauty already. This path gets it's name because it closely follows the shore of the Androscoggin River. It is about a mile long and has some pretty scenic areas that create a unique "brick and nature" combination. Ducks, geese, and seagulls play in these waters while people of all ages stroll along the walkway.

Along the walk are areas of open and cut grass for kids to run around on, and in the middle of the path is a playground as well. Benches dot the walk for people who want to sit and take in a sunset by the river. And there are several areas along the river in which one could wet a line if the desire is there.







Yes, in the midst of pavement, buildings, traffic, and street lights, there is nature here in the city, and it makes it feel a little bit more like home.

10 comments:

  1. After living in dramatically different environments throughout my life and initially hating the new scenery once or twice, I can honestly say that there is beauty to be found in each new location if you look for it.

    "Bloom where you're planted." That's what you and Mia are doing. Those pictures of the river through the trees are beautiful! And the new one of mother and daughter is precious. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love that saying Kim!! I will utilize that as we continue to get aquainted with our new area! :)

      I love that picture also! It's one of my favorites of the two of us together!

      Delete
  2. I moved to Central Maine from Washington county about 10 years ago and while I appreciated no longer having to drive an hour to buy a pair of pants (LOL) I was concerned that I would not have the access to the ocean and the extensive woodlands. Though many areas here around Augusta are posted no trespassing, with time and effort I have managed to find many wild places where I can hunt, fish and hike. It takes time but eventually (as Kim says) you can bloom anywhere.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will admit, having an overabundance of stores in the area is kind of nice. When we need something before one of our outings we only have to drive about five minutes down the road now. Slowly I'm finding some unposted areas, but I've got a feeling that I'll be asking people shortly if they mind if we utilize their land. I've found in the past that most people don't really mind if others use their land for hunting, fishing, or hiking. They just want to know who's out there and when. The worst response will be "no"! :)

      Delete
  3. Sorry for being so tardy to reading your recent blog posts. As you know, lots on my mind and lots to do with my upcoming move. Sounds like you and Mia have it down pretty good. Happy that you were able to relocate and make the adjustments necessary. Me and the boys will do the same. You are a great example.

    By the way, absolutely love the look of your blog. Have to admit that it has me re-thinking my new latest update.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No worries Mel! I know all too well how hectic things get when moving is involved. We are adjusting well, and the opportunities here for her are well worth all of the effort!

      I had tried the style that you have on your blog and I like it, but it wasn't outdoorsy looking enough for me! Lol. I'm still messing around with the layout and trying to figure out how to make my header picture smaller so that you can see the links on the bottom instead of just all picture when you get to the homepage. I'll figure it out eventually I'm sure!

      Thanks Mel!! :)

      Delete
  4. When I am staying in new places for work, it is fun to explore the area and look for new places to explore. Sometimes it may be a store unique to the area or it could be the shores of Lake Superior. It's the thrill of discovering new places I find fun. I am sure you will find plenty of new and exciting places to enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree! New sights and places are interesting, especially when traveling! The change from country setting to city was a bit of an adjustment, but we are getting there! Thanks! :)

      Delete
  5. Ashley, I love the new look of your blog! The header is beautiful, and this post has some beautiful photographs. Reminds me of home :) Glad you and Mia are settling in well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Abby! I was trying to shrink the header down a bit so it wasn't all you see when you get on the site, but I can't figure it out. Lol.

      I'm glad I could give you a reminder of home, because home misses you! :)

      Delete