Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Tips For Safe Independent Hikes: Part One

Most of the time, I am a lone hiker. It's been this way for years, (since I got out of high school actually) and with the exception of the weekend hikes my daughter and I share, I can count on one hand the number of times a friend has joined me on the trail. I've grown accustomed to enjoying time alone in nature at it's finest, and being the very protective momma bear on hikes with my wee one.

Hiking alone has it's perks for me, which is why I enjoy it so. It's my safety net. When I'm stressed, when I need a moment to reflect, when I need to get away from our bustling busy world, the woods are a serene, calm place for me to collect my thoughts and slow this busy system down. It gives me a feeling of adventure and confidence in being comfortable enough to hike as an individual. When hiking alone with my daughter, this gives me the opportunity to bond with her, connect on a level that most will never understand, and create a sense of adventure, a love of being outdoors, healthy habits and memories that will last for a lifetime.

In addition, it also gives me an excuse to scout out hunting and fishing areas! Yes, an ulterior motive of sorts, but hey! What's a girl gonna do?

I've been asked numerous times about the safety of hiking alone, especially being female. To that I always say, preparation is key. I have routines and checklists that I go through before I plan a hike with my daughter or solo, to ensure our safety and survival in the event of an emergency.

Here, I will outline the steps I go through before I even set foot on a trail. Having these preliminary plans always makes me feel secure in hiking the Maine woods as an independent woman and mom, and I hope that this will help you feel comfortable in hiking solo as well!

I will do this post in two parts, starting with the preparation before your hike!


Do Your Homework
      If you are new to hiking alone, I suggest you stay on a trail that you've already hiked. Hiking a familiar trail will help you gain confidence in adventuring alone. In addition, it will help you to learn that paying attention to your surroundings is important. This trail that you've hiked with a friend will likely look completely different once you're on it alone!
     If you absolutely feel the need to test out a new trail as a first lone hike, choose a well known, easy to find path. And preferably one that gets a relatively steady amount of foot traffic. This will help in the event that you get injured on the trail because at some point, someone will cross your path. And, if you get lost the trail will be easy to find by authorities.
     In my previous hike of the Grafton Notch Loop Trail with my daughter, I noted that when we arrived at the trail head there were no cars in the parking area. What I failed to mention was that when we left, there were a few vehicles there, so if something had happened to either of us we would have been sure to have someone cross our path. It was a thought in my mind that someone else would be on the trail at some point because it is well known and frequently used, but the thought bubble didn't make it into my blog post!

Stay connected
    Who do you talk to most on a daily basis? Who is the one person that will know something isn't right if they haven't heard from you in a specified amount of time? Pick this person (or people) and give them the information on where you will be hiking, when you will get there, and when you expect to be back. Again, pick a trail that is easily found, and don't just tell someone where you are going, WRITE IT DOWN. I even go so far as writing down the coordinates of the trail head so there is no confusion as to where I will be. This way if something does happen, someone will know where to start looking for you!

Check the weather!   Always be aware of what the weather conditions are supposed to be for the area that you are planning to hike in, especially if it's in an area you've never been to before!

Pack Supplies
   I can't count how many people I've encountered on the trail, carrying nothing but a water bottle (and sometimes not even that). Even when hiking with someone else, a pack is a necessary piece of equipment. It doesn't have to be a fancy top of the line hiking pack either. Hiking is about connecting with nature, not breaking the bank! A pack with ample space, pockets and compartments will be fine. In it be sure to carry:

  • More water than you think you'll need. If you get stranded, you can live for days without food, but not without water. Plus, it's a good thing to have in case you might need to clean a wound.
  • Pack a lunch, and extra snacks. Keeping your blood sugar up while you're hiking is a crucial for energy. I usually bring along a few PB&J's, some plain popcorn, some veggies or fruit, and energy/granola bars. Remember, if you are hiking with a child, be sure to bring along enough food and water for them as well!
  • A first aid kit. You can get a first aid kit just about anywhere, they contain all of the necessary items, and most of them are travel sized.
  • An emergency kit that contains fire starter material, Mylar blanket, a signal mirror, flares, a whistle, marking ribbon, rope (I carry a couple of para cord bracelets containing 50' each of cord), etc.
  • Extra clothing, and footwear if you have the room. Most hikes involve some sort of elevation gain, which means cooler temps at the top! Be prepared for this, and having the extra might mean you stay that much warmer in an unanticipated stay in the woods. Socks, sweaters, hats, and gloves are also a few good extras to keep. If you are hiking with a child be sure to bring along extra for them too!
  • Emergency rain gear. Even when you have checked upcoming weather conditions, sometimes a rain storm will come out of no where. Walking in cold and wet clothes can cause you to become ill, cold, and in colder areas increases the risk of hypothermia. If you can't afford specific rain gear, a couple of heavy duty trash bags will suffice in it's place (plus saves more room in your pack)!
  • A map, a compass, a flash light/head lamp, GPS if you have one, and carry a cell phone (and an emergency charge pack). All of these items will help you when you are in a bind, and in most instances authorities should be able to track your location from your phone if you happen to get lost!
I keep my pack ready and waiting with these items so when it's time to adventure outside, I simply add my food and water, and go!

Safety Equipment
    It's always a good idea to bring along what I call 'safety equipment', which is nothing more than a few items that can be used in case you need to defend yourself if the situation should ever arise.
  • A knife, or a few of them- I carry a large hunting knife on my belt, a small one in my boot (or strapped to my calf if I wear my hiking sneakers) and a small one in my pack.
  • Mace- I have a can of mace I picked up a local outdoors shop and I carry it attached to my pack with a lanyard (on the straps that cross your hips). It provides for easy access in an emergency situation, and will ward off two and four legged creatures that might mean you harm. **Note of advice- Ask the store owner (or someone you know if you bought it at a big box store) to show you how to use it BEFORE you head out on the trail. This way if you ever have to use it, you won't accidentally spray yourself instead of the person/animal in front of you.
  • Any other item you feel comfortable carrying that may be useful in a harmful situation.

Though this pre-hike list may seem daunting, it's not really. And, in the event of an emergency having all of these items at your ready will be well worth the added planning.

In my next post, I will share my tips on staying safe while on the trail!


6 comments:

  1. Sounds like very sound advice!
    I haven't dared trying to go hiking all on my one in my part of the world (Alicante, Spain) because the trails aren't very well marked and I worry about getting lost. So it took me a while to start hiking again until I found a group of people I could go with. Now that I'm becoming familiar with local trails I might try re-exploring a few on my own, and I'll be sure to take your advice!
    I was hiking in New Zealand last year, and the trails for tramping are so well marked there is really no fear of getting lost! Plus in the summer it's a very popular activity so even on a path with little traffic you're bound to run into someone.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've pretty much had no choice but to hike alone! Very few of the people around me have any interest in hiking, and the ones that do are usually to busy to get outside! As a child I grew up in the woods so I gained good bearings there, and most of the trails I've hiked here are pretty clearly marked. There are some I want to try this summer that I've been told are hard to follow, so we'll see how that goes! All part of the adventure!

    It sounds like you get to travel quite a bit! Such a wonderful thing, to be able to visit and hike in different surroundings! I visited Spain as a child when we were stationed in Germany. Though I can't remember the names of the towns/cities we were in, I do remember that it was a lovely place!

    Thanks so much for reading!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's been my problem too! I used to do a lot of hiking as a kid and teen, most of my family vacations involved camping and hiking... but in National Forests and Parks with very clearly marked trails! When I came to Spain for University I ended up making mostly "city" friends who weren't interested in the "outdoors" unless it was the beach (to be fair we have some fabulous beaches in Alicante!). And since I didn't have a car I couldn't really try to head out on my own. After I also discovered that the trails around here are not always easy to follow and I worried about going it alone... I started hiking again when I left the country and when I came back to Spain I was like "damn! if my friends don't want to hike I'll find people who do!" and found a couple of groups thanks to the all powerful Google! (which I didn't have access to in College).

      "Stationed in Germany"... sounds like you're a "military brat"? I'm a "foreign service brat"! ;o)

      Your blog is fascinating and a pleasure to read! I'm a bit of a sporadic reader/commenter so you'll see me appearing now and again depending on how much time I have for the blogosphere... :o)

      Delete
  3. Ah! I never thought to do a Google search to see if there are any groups in my area! I've been trying to network with other women in the state via Facebook.

    I'm glad that you were able to find some groups to go with!

    Yes, I am a military brat! It was a great experience and I learned a lot as a child. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just stumbled into your blog from a link on the OBN. Great writing and I really like your focus on introducing children to the great outdoors, it something I think we as a society are sadly doing less and less of.

    Also, glad to see that you are Maine based! While you certainly don't have to be a "Mainah" to be considered perfect, in my limited opinion, it certainly helps. ;) Glad to have found you in the blogsphere! Take Care!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I agree that children are not getting into the outdoors enough. It's disheartening to say the least. It's one of many reasons why I started my daughter in the outdoors as an infant!

      Maine has the perfect settings and seasons for all kinds of outdoor adventures, so being Maine based is perfect! So in my opinion, your opinion is faultless! :)

      Thanks for following!

      Delete