Monday, April 2, 2012

Puzzle Mountain: A Climb For Autism Awareness



Crossing onto Puzzle Mountain.

Last weekend, after Mia and I started hiking a trail that would eventually lead to Puzzle Mountain, I decided that it was going to be my goal to reach this mountain in honor of Mia and Autism Awareness month. I am elated to say that this mission that I had set forth has been accomplished!

Originally when Mia and I hiked part of this trail, I thought it ironic that we were on this trail headed to a mountain with the same name as the icon that stands for Autism Awareness, as well as following the blue trail markers as blue is associated with Autism Awareness. After this weekend's climb though, I realize that it wasn't irony that I was really feeling. It was a sense of realization.

Living a life as a parent of a child with Autism, or as an individual with Autism, is a lot like climbing a mountain.




There are ups...
The beginning of a steep climb.



And there are downs....
Beginning of summit push.


 The challenges can be steep and take a lot of energy to climb over.
This was a very steep trail. Pack lots of energy!


Some days of the climb can be serene.
A glimpse of what the summit view will look like.



Most days of the climb are goofy and fun. 
Got to have fun at all times! I wanted to take this big rock home!




On this climb we learn to live life in the moment, and enjoy all of the wonders around us.
In God's country, nothing should be taken for granted.


We learn to bask in the moments of accomplishment!
Crossing onto Puzzle Mountain!

And in those moments of accomplishment...
Summit! 3.5 mile hike and 3100 ft. elevation gain!









We realize that we've reached the top of this mountain because from here, we can look down on the climb that has been made and we can see the effort that's been put forth to get to the top. And at the end of the day, the climb was well worth the effort in a day on the path of Autism.

2 comments:

  1. Congratulations on setting your immediate goal and feeling the success that comes with the accomplishment. Beautiful country, too! Like how you related the pictures to the reality of living with and assisting someone with Autism. Say hi to Mia for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! As I was hiking up and started taking these pictures I was thinking about how similar climbing up a mountain side was to living with Autism. To put this life experience into words is one thing, but to put it into pictures is another!

      As I told Mia that Rainbow Chaser Mel says hello, she looked up at me and responded with her nod of approval and her exlamatory "HEY!" (one of few sounds I take as a word!) She likes to sit with me while I read some of your old blog posts aloud to her. Her favorite seems to be "New" Idaho State Record Walleye! Mainly because of the picture of the BIG fish!

      Delete