Monday, April 23, 2012

A Brief Visit to White Mountain National Forest

April 16, 2012
20120422_48
Now entering White Mountain National Forest!
This day was a gorgeous one, with the temperatures ranging from the mid 70’s to 80’s, and not a cloud in sight. I had the day off due to Patriots Day. Mia still had school. I wanted to keep her with me for the day so we could adventure together, but I know that she needs the consistency for schooling. So, because I was going to have to pick her up in Oxford Hills later in the day, I headed north to do a bit of hiking and fishing.
I really had no idea where I was headed for the day. I knew I wanted to try something different. I let my senses take me over, and they seemed to steer the Jeep in it’s own direction. As I drove, the fir trees started gathering closer to the road way. A river played hide and seek with the roadway, and then gave into it’s coy game by becoming wider and more pronounced, staying with the road for the majority of the way. The houses and buildings became sparse and after some time, nonexistent. Eventually, the big green monster landed in the town of Gilead. I continued on route 25 when I saw a sign that said Evans Notch.
I knew I wouldn’t have time to hike it today, but I took the left hand turn down 113 anyways to get a feel for the land. As I drove further, I became overwhelmed by a strong sense of nostalgia. It was the feeling of returning to a long ago visited area, as though I had been here before, but I couldn’t for the life of me ever remember venturing into this area. And the further I got down this road, the stronger the feeling got.
20120422_6
Scenic turnout. 

20120422_7

Eventually, Route 113 leads into the White Mountain National Forest. The tag line on the sign read “The Land of Many Uses”. As I poked around in here, I realized how true this tag line was. Along the road were several areas to make a camp site. There were a couple of scenic turn outs for peering into the natural setting that really gave you a feel of the lay of the land. Even if you’re not the outdoorsy type, just taking a drive through this scenic area would possibly leave you longing for a day or two in a wonderful habitat such as this. The river continued to make it’s way up to the road and then back into the woods again, providing ample places for fishing and swimming. And the number of hiking trails in the area were unreal.
20120422_4
Wild River, with abnormally low water levels. 
I stopped here and there to wet a line and to do some exploring. It was nice and quiet up here, with the only noises being the occasional woodpecker, squirrel, or a shrieking bird as it passed overhead. the gurgling water of the running river was calming, even though the water was very low in comparison to where it looked like it should have been. I even managed to get a picture of this little crossing the road behind me. He was quite a ways off so it was hard for me to get a good shot with my point and shoot, but I’m guessing it was a pheasant. I really can’t be sure though.
20120422_18
Pheasant, maybe? He didn't seem to bothered that I was there.
This road kept going along for quite some time before crossing over the New Hampshire border. After crossing, I was greeted by the Basin Pond Camp Ground. I thought for a moment about how I tend to find bodies of water with either similar aspects of landscape, or with similar names. Just  a couple of weekends ago, Mia and I fished the Basin in Auburn. To most, it would just be a coincidence, but for me it gives me an even greater sense of belonging and correct path choices. Some call this spiritualistic, but I call in nature-alistic! And still, through all of this, I had that nagging feeling of dejavu.

20120422_22
Another Basin. I must be drawn to them!

20120422_26
The Basin. I could pitch a tent and live here all summer!


Basin Pond was quite large, and from what I’ve read it offers trout fishing. Yes, I tried, but today I came up empty! A mother and her two young boys came to the shore side to fish while I was there. The youngest one came up to me with excitement in his step to ask me if I’d had any luck. I told him I hadn’t, but I was sure there was something to be caught here. I loved seeing this interaction between another parent and her children. I chatted with the mother for a bit, about kids and such, and then I left the pond for them to enjoy. I handed over what I had left for worms and packed up my gear. I was off to pick up my little adventure girl!
As I was headed back through 113, I realized why I was having this feeling that I was “coming home”. Many many years ago, my family and I had camped, hiked, fished, and panned for gold in Ruidoso, New Mexico while my father was stationed in El Paso. It was there that I really became involved in the outdoors, and gained a love of the waters and trees. From what I can now recall, the area there was much like this. Abundant in rivers, mountains, and trees. Isn’t it amazing how our memories can create such an overwhelmingly wonderful feeling?
I started wondering if Mia might also get these types of feelings when we go to places that we know, or when we head to places that have a similar feel. I know that she does pick up on things as we drive down the road, because when we get close to a favorite trail, grammy and grampies house, or even home, she starts giggling with anticipation in the back seat. I’m not sure if she’s picking up on road signs, specific trees, houses, etc., but I do know that she is always aware of where we are. I can not wait for the day when she can tell me all of these things, and more!
In any event, this place holds some pretty great adventure opportunities, and I plan on coming back with Mia in the very near future. I think she will like it here also, though lately I think she just likes being where ever mom is!
20120422_29
Perfect day for an adventure!

9 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thanks! I loved it up there. I can't wait to take Mia! And, now that we've had some good rainfall, the fishing should be much better!

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. It is pretty gorgeous! :) We are lucky to have such wonderful natural settings here!

      Delete
  3. Beautiful, Ashley! I love your sense of connection to the outdoors. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love Maine BUT if I had to live in another state it would be New Hampshire. Not only is the White Mountain area incredibly beautiful BUT you can also hunt on SUNDAY! Hmmm, maybe I need to move?!?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lucky for us NH isn't that far away! And the cost of the non resident license really isn't that outrageous, so you can have the best of both worlds! :)

      Delete